LED Light TherapyBeautec
The Power of LED Light Therapy
We have long used LED light therapy in various industries for many different uses, but recently it has become very popular within the cosmetics industry.
The power that LED light has on biological skin tissue is endless, and can treat a multitude of conditions. However, the best thing about LED light therapy is that out of 1700 published clinical trials, there where no reported side effects whatsoever.
LED light therapy works by using the visible light spectrum (coloured light we are able to see). So, different coloured light will penetrate skin tissue to varying depths, reaching specific cells to have a bio-chemical reaction. The easiest way to imagine how it works is by looking at plants. Plants use chlorophyll to absorb and convert sunlight into plant tissue. LED light works in a very similar way, by stimulating a bio-chemical reaction in the skin.
Light, at appropriate doses and wavelengths, is absorbed by chromophores in the skin such as:
- Porphyrins – pigment in living tissue
- Flavins – molecules found in plant and animal tissues
- Mitochondria – metabolism and energy producing part of cells
- Cell membrane – the outer most part of the cell
Once absorbed the light waves have a regenerating effect on the skin tissue.
We measure light wave in nanometers (nm). Different wavelengths will target different chromophores and have various effects on the tissue.
This image shows the different wavelengths, measured in nanometres and the different depths they penetrate into the skin.
Here is a breakdown of what each light is able to treat:
- Red – Anti-aging: Combats wrinkles and increases collagen production
- Blue – Anti-Acne: Eliminates acne causing bacteria and reduces acne
- Yellow – Reduces Redness: Alleviates inflammation, sunburn and rosacea.
- Cyan – Soothing: Support in reducing the size of swollen capillaries.
- Green – Evens skin tone: Helps even skin tone for a naturally beautiful complexion.
- Orange – Revitalization: Promotes a brighter glow for more radiant skin
- Purple – Cell Rejuvenation: Increases cellular rejuvenation and regeneration.
- Infra-red – Skin Booster: Penetrates deeper into the skin for a boosted and more amplified treatment.
You are able to use the LED light therapy masks in conjunction with serums to better help penetrate and increase the effectiveness of the serum, whether it be for hydration or to reduce pigmentation. Additionally, you are able to use LED masks after advanced skin treatments such as microneedling and microdermabrasion in order to calm and soothe the skin.
At Beautec we offer a half day course into LED light therapy, which will allow you to offer the course to your clients. You can see a return of anywhere from £25-60 per treatment dependent on how you are delivering the facials.