The benefits of Chemical Peel AcidsBeautec
Alpha Hydroxy Acid… What is it good for? Fact: The skin is naturally slightly acidic, with a pH 4.5.
So here’s for the science… The acid mantle layer is an invisible protective layer over the skin. It stops the growth of bacteria on the skin’s surface, which can lead to acne. It’s made up of 50% natural skin oils and 50% sweat.
However, without this protection skins can become prone to break out, and in some cases, severe acne. The acid mantle layer can be affected by various different factors. These including hormonal changes, diet, smoking, alcohol and use of incorrect skincare products, to name but a few.
Chemical peels have proven success at balancing the skins natural acidity and keeping the acid mantle layer working efficiently. So we have created a list of our top acids, where they come from and why they work so well.
Glycolic Acid is derived from sugar cane, molasses extract and fruit extract, but now is generally synthesised for clinical use. It is the original AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid).
Glycolic acid has the smallest molecules of the AHA group and therefore penetrates the skin easily but must be used at a low pH. This makes it effective but potentially irritating if not used correctly.
At Beautec we use the Exuvience Glycolic Peel, which is formulated to release slowly into the skin, therefore reducing irritation, but maintains the effectiveness of the product.
Benefits of Glycolic Acid
- Exfoliates the stratum corneum (top layer of the epidermis)
- Normalises cellular turnover
- Reduces congestion in the pores
- Refines skin texture
- Helps to rebuild collagen and elastin fibres to reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces pigmentation marks on the skin
- Successful at treating active acne and acne scarring
- Helps to lock in moisture by increase hyaluronic acid production in the skin.
Mandelic Acid is derived from bitter almonds and is the only lipid soluble Alpha Hydroxy Acid. Therefore, it is excellent at breaking down excess oil on the skins surface.
It has a large molecular structure and it behaves in a much more gentle and superficial manner. Essentially, having the same effects as glycolic, but without causing inflammation or irritation.
Benefits of Mandelic Acid
- Anti inflammatory
- Ideal for sensitive or inflamed skin
- Ideal for oily and acne prone skin – due to its lipidity it has a natural affinity with the skin.
Citric Acid is an Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acid derived from citric fruits and a powerful antioxidant.
It particularly effective against photo aged and pigmentation. Therefore, having a brightening effect on the skin.
Benefits of Citric Acid
- Speeds up cellular renewal
- Natural exfoliator
- Reduces the appearance of pigmentation and age spots
- Unclogs congested pores
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Learn more about Chemical peel acids by enrolling on to our Chemical Peel course.